twitter
rss


Problem solving enables students to develop the ability to make judgment and emphasizes the importance of explanation. Based on Savoie & Hughes’ experience, this teaching strategy helps to make learners responsible for shaping and directing their own learning. Yet for students are learning independently, they may acquire misconceptions or incomplete knowledge. In group, learners can identify flaws in their thinking and trying to understand the real concept. However, it is easy for less able or less confident students to be dominated by capable student. Another issue comes when students are discouraged to discover answers due to lack of interest or accustomed to their teacher being the main source of knowledge.

I am sure that motivation is a key element in problem solving. Excellent application of problem solving is best exemplified by my classmate which students are asked to find the best place to have a picnic. That means I will need to prepare a problem which is relevant to real life to engage students. I have another idea such as choose which dog is the most suitable for family with particular background. I will provide information about dogs and story of the family, encourage students to read problem several times and explain the important feature. Furthermore, I will pose questions and ask for clarification to help students understand and also enable me to monitor them.


Illustrate problem solving as picture above may be the best way to tell them that there are so many alternatives to solve problem so they respect any contribution and willing to discuss with others. I think this strategy is ideal to use as a conjunction with cooperative learning. Learning climate in which learners can freely discuss with one another what they understand support this idea.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sir, nice to meet you. I am Michael's Mom. I noticed something wrong when I picked him up, he looks sad and terrified. He is very sensitive and have trouble understanding what other people think and feel due to Authism. I heard from others' Mom that students just had a lot of discussion in group. Did something happen?

  1. Hi Miss., thank you for asking. Yes we have a lot of activity including independent learning and discussion in group. I am sure there was nothing wrong happened. I am afraid that Michael had a lot of trouble while learning independently and mistook other students' idea as an offensive to his understanding. Thanks for letting me know, I will monitor Michael more next time and make sure to have other students in group encourage him more.